What a wedding planner
IS and IS NOT
Many have misconceptions about what a wedding planner is and is not (aka What is their job!)
So here are the straight facts...
YOUR PLANNERS JOB IS TO...
– Generally...help you plan your wedding day
– Provide you with a planning checklist & schedule
– Give you advice on managing your wedding budget
– Recommend vendors that meet your needs
– Help you with vendor communication & act as your liaison when needed
– Give you practical advice on your design
– Facilitate meetings with your vendors when needed
– Educate you on wedding etiquette and faux pas to avoid
– Advise you on the best ways to collect and manage your RSVP's
– Remind you to pay your vendors
– Confirm your vendors for wedding day
– Create your wedding day timeline
– Coordinate your ceremony rehearsal
– Make sure everything on wedding day goes according to plan
– Ensure the couples needs are being met throughout the evening
YOUR PLANNERS JOB IS NOT TO...
– Plan your wedding day for you - not even for full planning!
– Work on tasks that are outside of your planning service package
– Manage your money or your budget
– Go on a wild goose chase for items you saw on Pinterest
– Attend vendor meetings for you
– Purchase or find your décor or attire
– Get you discounts on vendor services or products
– Contact your guests
– Pick up or return your dresses/suits
– Pay your vendors or negotiate payment extensions
– Set up table/chairs or decorate
– Break venue rules
– Ask vendors to do things that are outside their scope of work
– Hold your rings or valuables
– Put together all of the stuff you bought for your wedding (this includes unpackaging all those packs of sparklers!)
– Transport any of your wedding day items, gifts, food or cake (either before or after the ceremony)
– Attend to the needs of the parents, family or wedding party
– Clean up the venue
So how do you get the most out of your planning services and your wedding planner?
Don't take advantage of them by asking for assistance you know isn't part of your package
Remember that all of those things you see as "small" or "a few" aren't really just small or a few
Have respect for others time by remembering that you are not the only client and that your planner does like to have personal time
Be prepared for your planning calls and complete your planning tasks
Stay active and involved in the planning process
Limit the decision makers and people involved in the planning process
Surround yourself with positive people who support you...not joy killers!
Remind your wedding party that they are there to support you....not act like your wedding planner/coordinator